Sunday, August 21, 2005

Little Goose*

One of the items in Martha the hippo's purse from Attack of the Combs is a round, earthenware flute called an ocarina. Last week, Lucia and I visited the Pike Place Market specifically to find an ocarina at the Clayzeness Whistleworks table. Originally, the ocarina was supposed to be for her, but after I saw the price-tag, I thought, "Lucia has a guitar and a harmonica and a variety of percussion instruments. Perhaps it is her Mama who needs the ocarina." Although I am not generally a fan of plastic, perhaps a recycled plastic ocarina will be good for Lucia, at least in the beginning. Bede can paint it.**

Meanwhile, I have been tootling on the ocarina and finding lots of free tablature on the internet. As a person who never did well with musical instruments, the ocarina is a boost to my self-esteem. To be sure, Bede doesn't yet recognize all of the songs I'm trying to play, but I've got dreams! I'm even starting to think of how I can incorporate the ocarina into my storytelling. I'll keep you apprised of any developments. In the meantime, check out the free ocarina tablature and audio samples:

Tablature
More Tablature
Zelda, the Ocarina of Time
Blackadder and more
Many thanks to the troubadour Nancy Stewart for introducing us to the ocarina.


*Translated from the Italian, the word ocarina means "little goose."

**No, this is not sneaky advertising. I just want you to have easy access to resources that might interest you.

No comments: