Wednesday, November 25, 2009

In Which I Kvetch Some More

You wanted more kvetching instead of sweetness and light... you've got it. I'm going to spend the rest of the week being thankful, though.

1. It is not fair that some people get to live full, long lives, while others die much too soon. Coupled with that is the quality of life. While there will probably always be those who have more than others, it seems that the least we could do as a species is to make sure we all have the fundamentals to survive: food, clothing, shelter, love.

2. I want to be the writer I always planned I would become. I lost momentum in my twenties when the work I put into writing did not evolve into the great stories I wanted to tell.

3. I wish I could hold my daughter when she was a baby without the overwhelming fatigue, hives, thrush and other detractors from the joy of being in the presence of a wondrous new person. I remember my husband briefly posting on his blog a photo of Lucia with the title, "The Sweetest Creature in the World." She was. She is. She's got a bit of spice to her, too.

4. Educating the whole child should be a priority, regardless of the child's parents' income. Just where do we think we're going to get critically-thinking, compassionate adults who take care of the environment, make educated choices and are fiscally responsible? Do we think conscientious, responsible citizens are going to leap from Zeus' head fully-grown and brimming with wisdom like Athena? Please. Look how Athena turned out. Her wisdom was not infallible and contributed to the fall of Troy.

5. Public libraries are a common good. While library systems should always be able to justify their expenses, they shouldn't have to fight for funding year after year. Speaking of libraries, I am still steamed about the razing of the library of Alexandria.

6. I wish I hung out with my friends more.


Okay! Enough kvetching. My family is in town, and I'm going to enjoy their company.

Blessings to everyone, whereever you may be.

6 comments:

jama said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Farida! I hear you on all counts. :)

Lone Star Ma said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I hope you all had a lovely kvetch-free holiday.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

I'm so with you on #4.

Hope the holiday was good.

Saints and Spinners said...

Thank you! I had a good time with the family this past week. I hope you all had some relaxing time off, too, and didn't have to play Rude Family Thanksgiving bingo.

xxxxxx said...

I so agree!

RE:While there will probably always be those who have more than others, it seems that the least we could do as a species is to make sure we all have the fundamentals to survive: food, clothing, shelter, love.

Love being so so so important....to teach each other how to love. I have so far to go on that! all those other things come together if we just loved each more!