Monday, February 08, 2010

Briefest of Updates

The "wheels spinning in the mud" metaphor is apt for my current mode of thinking. I know that emerging from a hard place takes a certain kind of mindset that allows for gentle pressure of the gas pedal plus a goodly amount of spare cardboard to put under the wheels (wasn't it lucky that I had cardboard the last time the car got stuck in the mud?). Still, I'm a little amazed that when it comes to writing, my mind just goes blank. I can't even come up with original metaphors! I was glad when a customer gave me inspiration for a series of dolls to do for the NaturalKids "spring challenge." Here are four Blossom Princesses:




By the way, my five year blog-anniversary, sometimes called a "blogiversary," is coming up on February 21. That's a little over two weeks from now, and I'd like to do something nice for you all to celebrate.

In other news, my daughter had her first public performance last Friday. The assistant kindergarten teacher gave a concert where she sang and friends accompanied her on instruments and vocals. Lucia sang "Hey Ho, Nobody Home" with the teacher for the last song. She enjoyed herself on stage and was beaming for hours afterward.

9 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

I love A' Soalin'. Bet she was amazing. Nice blossom princesses! Hope things come together soon for you.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Go, Lucia!

Those baskets! My four-year-old just walked up, too, and said without missing a beat, "I want all of those."

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

My five-year-old walked by and said, "Awww!" I love the little crowns. And the baskets. So lovely!

And congratulations to Lucia on her first public performance! You must have been beaming, too.

Beth Kephart said...

I smile as I imagine this.

Charlotte said...

Looking at the four lovely blossom princess is making me think of other fours--have you ever done the Four Seasons? The four elements? (I think Fire in particular would be fun to make...)

Saints and Spinners said...

Working from the last comment up...

Charlotte: I have never done the Four Seasons per se, though I have made four dolls represent aspects of the seasons for the class auction project (i.e. Jack Frost, Lady Spring, the Mer-King for summer, and a harvest maiden for autumn). It's an excellent idea, so thank you. In a rare moment of overachievement, I've actually done FIVE elementals to include aether. I appliqued a salamander on the fire doll.

Beth: It was lovely! I was a little nervous for her, but there was no need.

Anamaria and Jules: Thank you. That was what I needed to know for the child appeal.

LSM: Thank you. I'll write to you soon. I think I'll be more upbeat once I'm over this cold. (A small one, but still, one that saps energy.)

May I be braggy for a moment? The Math Gnomes I donated to the school for the gala auction have been in the "Warmth of Winter" auction for the past two weeks. They are currently going for over the stated value. I'm rooting for "guaranteed bid" but it's very affirming to see the different bids go up, too.

Anonymous said...

I hope the days are getting better.

I'm so glad Lucia enjoyed performing so. A voice like hers should be shared. :)

tanita✿davis said...

Ooh, four seasons!!!

I have a paper cutter stamp thingy that makes maple leaves... wonder how well it would work on felt. And then you'd have to embroider those eensy weensy leaves... maybe you don't want me to really help you with this.

But, earth wind and fire -- those would be fun elements! Oh, and water! (Knew I was missing someone.)

I imagine Lucia singing that song - rounds are such a kick when a kid first catches on how to do them. Lovely.

The Library Lady said...

Well done, Lucia! I remember singing that song in elementary school, long,long ago....