Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Song of the Week: Let's Play in the Forest

This morning at the local library preschool storytime, the librarian read Let's Play In the Forest, While the Wolf is Not Around, by Claudia Rueda. The story is based on a French and Columbian play song, known either as "Jugemos en el Bosque" or "Promenons-nous dans les bois." After everyone says or sings, "Let's play in the forest while the wolf is not around," they call out, "Wolf, are you there?" and the Wolf responds, "I'm putting on my underpants... undershirt... pants..." and so on. When the Wolf is finished getting dressed, he announces that he's hungry, with a humorous surprise ending.

The librarian said, "I am going to have to ask someone who knows how to read music to teach me the tune." I offered to take a copy of the song home (included with source notes at the end of the book) so that I could figure it out on guitar. Then, I decided to film it so that the librarian would have a sound file to which to refer. Here is the video, with help from Lucia, my "Gloria."



I also found this video.

9 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

She's the sweetest.

Anonymous said...

I love her tone of voice for "I'm putting on my underwear." It's a little, "HELLO! Isn't it OBVIOUS?"

Anonymous said...

By the by, I read this book in storytime frequently and was clueless about how the song went. Now, I am armed with INFORMATION. YES!

abcgirl said...

i discovered this book this year as i was putting together a "Big Bad Wolf" themed storytime kit. I LOVE it! When I first read it, i really didn't get it. But then I found the music in the back of the book (which i sing pretty much the same as you, only I don't have a guitar and I sing it a little speedier because I'm impatient like that.) and it all made sense! I love that you can play up the SCARY factor, or just breeze right past it. I love that it includes kids' favorite word: UNDERWEAR! and i love the surprise funny ending. Plus, the illustrations are super cute. I actually just read this book yesterday for an outreach storytime I did. Great timing!

:)

Saints and Spinners said...

ABCGirl: It's funny you mentioned the speed of the song, because I deliberately slowed it down to counteract the tendency to rip through songs. Yes, underwear (or "underpants" in the book) is a bonus as the funniest word to children under 9. By the way, I am the bad, bad girl who has had the traveling notebook for about a year now. I know where it is (at least, I think I do), but it keeps getting piled under mounds of papers and things.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Your helper did a great job! I think my daughter would love to "be" the wolf, too.

(She'll think "I'm putting on my underwear!" is probably the funniest thing she's ever heard...)

I'll definitely get the book from our library for her, and now I know the tune...

thanks!

Lee

The Library Lady said...

Love the video.
I DO read music, but sometimes I just end up making up my own tune!

I haven't used this book, but I think I might use it--or at least the story--this fall with my 3-5 year old crew.

Saints and Spinners said...

Library Lady: If the video was of any help, I'll consider it a job done to satisfaction!

Lee Wind: If there is a funnier word than "underwear," I'd like to know what it is. On second thought....

Noodle said...

I love it!! (My daughter will too.) :)