Monday, September 08, 2008

In which I get to meet another fellow blogger



This morning, I got to meet my roommate for the 2nd Annual Kidlitosphere Conference: Adrienne from What Adrienne Thinks About That. Adrienne and one of her colleagues (who may or may not want to be named, so she'll just be "the friend") came out to Seattle as part of a weekend conference, and stayed at the scenic Talaris Conference Center, complete with willow trees, dragonflies and bridges over the pond. As you can see, Adrienne was jumping for joy:


Note the groovy shoes Adrienne wore, by the way. Here is a closeup:


After I dropped off my daughter for her first day of school, Adrienne, her friend and I went out in search for coffee and breakfast. Talaris had fed them very well over the weekend, but the food supplies were cut off that morning. Afterward, I brought out my string so that I could start to learn some of Adrienne's nifty string games. We went through the Cat's Cradle sequence a few times, and Adrienne demonstrated the solo Cat's Cradle sequence, which took her a month to learn. Then, we sat down to wait for a shuttle that was supposed to arrive at 11:30 am to take them to the airport. An hour later, I finally had to leave them to pick up mydaughter from school, but Talaris assured Adrienne and friend that they would get a ride to the airport no matter what. I hope that, as I write this, they made their plane.

8 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Adrienne is so cute. She looks exactly like her little kid picture. How funny how most of us haven't moved that far from childhood. I think it's the books...

Anonymous said...

*That* was a good morning. :) Thanks so much for coming out and hanging with us.

The shuttle did finally arrive. Our airport story involves: a.) running, b.) being bumped to standby, c.) more running, d.) begging, and e.) finally getting on our originally booked flight, which then sat on the tarmac for an hour. But then our Chicago connection was delayed, so it All Worked Out, and I am safely home, practicing my dance moves.

Tadmack, I am one of those people where you can look at pictures of me even when I was a little baby and be like, "Oh yeah, that's Adrienne."

Jules at 7-Imp said...

What a great meeting of minds!

Vivian Mahoney said...

You are going to have so much fun at the kidlit conference!

Saints and Spinners said...

TadMack: You may be right. Singing silly songs helps, too.

Adrienne: If only we'd known ahead of time that there'd be that fiasco, I could have had you two at the airport and been back in time to pick up my daughter. Oh well-- at least you got on the plane and arrived home safely. I really enjoyed hanging out with you and friend. See you in a couple of weeks!

Jules: It was fun. Hey, by the way, there's talk on the Kidlitosphere listserv about where the conference should be next year. I'll bet if you volunteered to organize it (ha ha ha!) it could be in Nashville.

Saints and Spinners said...

Vivian: Someday I hope to meet you at one of these gatherings.

Charlotte said...

Oh, I love string figures! Can I play too? I have a very well worn copy of String Figures and How to Make Them...

Saints and Spinners said...

Charlotte: Yes definitely! Come play string games. There's an ending to Cat's Cradle that requires a third person, too.