Friday, February 23, 2007

Two Years of Blogging and One New Guitar

Today is Two days ago was the two year anniversary of this blog. To celebrate, I bought a new guitar. Of course, I was going to buy the guitar anyway. Lady K, you mentioned in the comments section that the guitar I admired had better be studded with diamonds to justify the price. Well, you've gotten your wish... in a way. My new guitar is a Composite Acoustic, and it's made out of graphite. I was skeptical at first of the CA, because I knew that the Rainsong graphite guitars were a bit iffy, but the guitar I bought sounded sweet and true. Not only does the CA look and sound good, but it is impervious to temperature fluctuations and casual violence. The guy who sold me the guitar assured me that I could jump up and down on the guitar and it wouldn't break. (He said he sometimes brought in one of his CAs from home in order to demonstrate this stunt to prospective buyers.) As much as I am tempted to share this tidbit with my preschool audiences, I shall refrain. I shall pretend that my new guitar is a delicate, sensitive instrument.

Here is the studio picture of the Composite Acoustic GX:



I'll post actual home photos soon, complete with dramatic poses. In the meantime, follow the link to check out the specifications on the GX, admire how the body is molded so that I can actually play it comfortably, or shake your head in skepicism that an acoustic guitar could be created from anything besides a tree. Ulric was the one who alerted me to the existence of graphite guitars. If you have to blame anyone, blame Ulric.

Update 11:30 a.m. PST: I just took a proper photo of my guitar. I now open the comments section to any and all references to This is Spinal Tap:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful instrument! A good way of celebrating your blogaversary. :)

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Happy Bloggoversary! And welcome to your new modern graphite guitar! I'm gonna stick with wood myself but you Americans - well you went to the moon didn't you? You have different names. You're so goddam adventurous! What will you call your new baby? I mean the guitar of course!

limpy99 said...

Congratulations of the two years and the spiffy new guitar. I love the line about it being immune to "casual violence". I wonder if they make computers like that?

Saints and Spinners said...

Thanks, Galetea! This morning, I woke up wondering, "What have I done?" not because I regretted the purchase (I didn't) but because I'd always assumed I'd have a wood guitar. However, it makes sense for our small house with all its temperature fluctations to have a guitar that isn't overly fussy.

YP: As much as I claimed that I would have always been the one to stick around in London rather than journey to the so-called New World, I suspect that insatiable curiosity might have eventually taken hold. I'm still thinking of a name. I've been mentally referring to the guitar as "Diamond Lil" but am a bit reluctant to make it the official moniker.:)

Limpy99: I asked the guitar salesman, "So, what would destroy this guitar?" and he thought for a moment, then said, "A forklift."

Scott said...

Congrats on the anniversary!

Think about it this way: a graphite guitar is made of wood from trees that are so old they they have petrified and metamorphosed. Also, possibly dinosaurs.

Saints and Spinners said...

Scott: My guitar is brand-new, and yet it's a dinosaur. O the paradox.

Unknown said...

I must admit, I was skeptical about the claims of the guitar's indestructabiliy, but when brad was dropping it from the roof in an effort to crack walnuts on the sidewalk, it held up rather well.

Arthur Clewley said...

what's the use of an indestructible guitar? how are you going to smash it up on stage at the end of each concert? Actually, the reason for this comment is to ask what you're doing in that picture in your profile. PS, I may have nmentioned this on yorkshire pudding.co.yorks but did you know that you have a church named after you just down the road from here, in Middleham and I thimk there's a well as well, or used to be

Saints and Spinners said...

Arthur: How delightful that you dropped by my blog. In my new profile photo, I am flying a kite at the Tulip Festival. I do plan to visit the church of St. Alkelda someday when I visit Yorkshire. Regarding the indestructability of the guitar, I did think about how difficult it would be to smash it or set it on fire, but then humbly realized that such antics have been done well before me, and much better than I could ever hope to achieve. Maybe I'll find something new and exciting. I could plant violets in my guitar and play "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?"

Saints and Spinners said...

Bede: I was pretty peeved with Brad for dropping my guitar off the roof, but I can't deny that the walnuts are nicely cracked now.

Lady K said...

Do all the strings go to eleven? (LOVES me some Spinal Tap)

I'm jealous...but YAY! Congrats on the two year anniversary, and have fun with your new toy! If I can get up, I'm going to Guitar Center to see if they have one of those on display.

Lone Star Ma said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary and on Diamond Lil!