Saturday, February 03, 2007

So Long, It's Been Good to Know Yuh

No, this is not my last blog post! The title of this post is the name of a Woody Guthrie song. Guthrie took the melody from the songs Billy the Kid and Goodnight, Irene, so it seems appropriate that I get to tweak the song too. In my version, I've replaced the dust references with rain to convey accurately the weather of the Puget Sound region.

Original lyrics

My version:

So Long, It's Been Good to Know Yuh (Rainy Old Rain)

I've sung this song, but I'll sing it once more,
Of the place that I lived on the wild windy shore,
In the month called April, county called King,
And here's what all of the people there sing:

So long, it's been good to know yuh;
So long, it's been good to know yuh;
So long, it's been good to know yuh.
This rainy old rain is a-gettin’ my home,
And I've got to be driftin' along.


A rain storm hit, and it hit like thunder;
It soaked us all over, and it flooded us under;
Blocked out the traffic and blocked out the sun,
Straight for home all the people did run,
Singin':

So long, it's been good to know yuh;
So long, it's been good to know yuh;
So long, it's been good to know yuh.
This rainy old rain is a-gettin’ my home,
And I've got to be driftin' along.


We talked of the end of the world, and then
We'd sing a song and then sing it again.
We'd sit for an hour and not say a word,
And then these words would be heard:

So long, it's been good to know yuh;
So long, it's been good to know yuh;
So long, it's been good to know yuh.
This rainy old rain is a-gettin’ my home,
And I've got to be driftin' along.




Sound sample (Track 14)

****
P.S. I've started using mouse-overs (or roll-overs) since I spiffed up my template. You'll find some of them when you hover over the links.

Example:
Aayla Secura

2 comments:

Lady K said...

I worked with and then dated ARLO Guthrie's grandson for a short bit!! HE was musically gifted, as well. And YES, according to him, the last name was from THE Guthrie's. What the hell was I THINKING? ;-)

It was just wrong place/wrong time back then. I think about him, sometimes, though.

Don't give up hope. Rain, all the time, can really bring you down. Then again, NO rain, every day, all the time, can do the same thing. Really, it can.

Saints and Spinners said...

Lady K: You know, I've lobbied for the name "Arlo Cash" for a boy. No go. Why do you think? Not that I'm having a boy anytime soon, but still... there's a little boy Lucia's age who goes to our church, and his name is Guthrie. He's not named after the musical family, though. If I find out his middle name is Elvis, I'm going to suspect something.

I actually like rain. Or rather, I like drizzle.