Thursday, February 15, 2007

Sickness, Buffy, Cybils

Lucia has been ill since Sunday. She's missed school all week. We'll take her in to the doctor's office tomorrow morning. She'll probably miss her friend's birthday party on Saturday, but I really hope that she will mend in time for the Goodnight Moon play at Seattle Children's Theatre. We have tickets for Sunday, February 18th. My mother will be in town for a week (huzzah!) during the school break. Her visit is timely. We need backup.

*****

Last Tuesday night, Bede and I finished Season 7 of Buffy: the Vampire Slayer. Now, I can read actual chapter-books again. I got impatient with all of that television-watching. I read fast. Television is often too slow for my attention span. (I'm being glib now. Roll with it!) Part of the reason I'm glad I'm done with watching "Buffy" is because now I get to read all of the commentaries and analyses without concern for spoilers:

*All Things Philosophical on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the Series (web)

*Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale

*Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show

*Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

*****

Speaking of reading, the 2006 Children's and YA Bloggers' Literary Awards, known as the Cybils, have been announced! Follow this link for the list of winners. Of all the winners, the only one I've read is A Drowned Maiden's Hair: a Melodrama, by by Laura Amy Schlitz.

5 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Aw! Poor little Lucia! What have you careless parents being doing to the poor little lady?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing about the Cybils!! I hope that you'll have a chance to read more of the winning books.

Lady K said...

I hope Lucia feels better soon!

Never really got into Buffy, but have been watching Angel reruns as I'm getting ready for work in the mornings. That stuff is pretty out there, but this is coming from a fan of "Charmed." hee hee! Happy Friday!

Saints and Spinners said...

Lady K: "Angel" is up next. I've already seen clips, and sometimes I watch the bit about the "wee puppet man" just to make me laugh out loud.

Jen: You're welcome! It's been fun following the progress of the Cybils. I really should have read Ptolemy's Gate by now except that I was never in the right mood for The Amulet of Samarkand. (Which is odd, because I enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell).

YP: We took her to preschool. Just about everyone in the class is out with the same loose, phlegmy cough. Ugh.

Lone Star Ma said...

I hope Lucia is better - we have been having bug after bug this winter.

I have not watched much Buffy, though the little I have watched makes me think I would like it. Someone I was close to as a teen is one of those folks who writes treatises on the show. I'm out of touch, but I think she's a writing professor at some university.