Monday, February 12, 2007

New birthday tune



I have decided that my new Happy Birthday song, the kind of song that I can sing and play at children's birthday parties (you over-10 set are really bitter, did you know that?), will be to the tune of an American cowboy lament in 3/4 time called "The Streets of Laredo." The song is in the public domain, and the tune is simultaneously mournful and perky. Here are the first two verses of the traditional lyrics:

As I walked out in the streets of Laredo,
As I walked out in Laredo one day,
I spied a young cowboy all wrapped in white linen.
All wrapped in white linen and cold as the clay.

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy,"
These words he did say, as I boldly stepped by.
"Come sit here beside me and hear my sad story,
For I'm shot in the heart and I surely will die."


I think this song is just begging for a makeover as a birthday commemoration. I'm not happy with what I have so far, but it would be great to have something by Saturday. I'm going to a birthday party, and I'm bringing my guitar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my parents taking me to a Smothers Brothers gig when I was small where they did an amusing version of Streets of Laredo with the second verse being,

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."
"I see by your outfit you are a cowboy too."
We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys,
If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy too.

Saints and Spinners said...

Galetea: That does it. I'm getting an outfit.

fusenumber8 said...

Someone one-upped me. I too was going to mention the Smothers Brothers song. I seriously cannot ever hear "The Streets of Loredo" without singing that version anymore. It's worth it, though.