Friday, November 10, 2006

Poetry Friday: "Hey, Little Red Bird"

"Hey Little Red Bird" is an original song by Dan Zanes. Zanes has the song chords published in the key of F, with regular A flats and B flats. No thank you! I like to listen to those chords, but I don't like to play them. I've transposed the song into the key of D. There's still a pesky F chord in the song, but playing it is much more managable now.

Hey, little red bird
Hey, little red bird gone again
Up into the clouds you're gone again
You sang a beautiful song but you're gone, gone, gone,
I'll catch up somehow...

I asked a fortune teller dragonfly
Who just happened to be passing by
She said it wouldn't be long for that song, that song
And I believed her somehow

--Dan Zanes

For complete lyrics and a song sample, click here.

I'm off to my guitar lesson, now.

4 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

I gave up the guitar when, after over a year of weekly lessons and daily practice, I just never could quite pull off the F chord. My shame.

Saints and Spinners said...

LSM: Good news! There is a cheater F. I love it (love it love it). It doesn't work for everything, but it does work for "House of the Rising Sun" and "City of New Orleans." No shame! I'm going to try that cheater F on "Waltzing Matilta" now.

Hey, just because we're not electric whizzes like Ms. Mother Goddess doesn't mean we can't play a little guitar.

Hazed said...

"I asked a fortune teller dragonfly"...I absolutely LOVE this line! I've never heard this before, but I'm a sucker for very creative metaphores and imaginary combinations. I may have to find this song, somewhere.

Saints and Spinners said...

Friday: Write to me with the pertinent information, and I'll see what I can do.:)