Tuesday, November 28, 2006

In Seattle, Snow Always Makes the News


Snow and Ice Snarl Highways

Nightmare Commute for Drivers: Snow, Commute, and a Seahawks Game

Last year, it snowed enough that I thought I should shovel my walkway. All I had was a garden shovel. After 10 minutes, I realized that I really shouldn't bother: the snow would melt by the end of the day.

The joke around here is that there are only two snow plows in the entire city of Seattle. Really, the city allegedly has twenty snow plows, but I don't remember ever seeing one in the seven years I've lived here.

Some stories with snow:

Little Daughter of the Snow, a Russian folktale

Rabbit and Fox, a folktale from the Iroquois Nation

Deirdre of the Sorrows, listed because of its twist on the Snow White description:

One day, Deirdre watched as her fosterer killed a calf to eat. The calf's blood ran bright red in the snow, and a raven swooped down.

"If there were a man with hair as black as that raven, skin as white as that snow, and cheeks as red as that blood, I would wish to marry him," Deirdre said, in what was perhaps the first manifestation of her second sight.


On a cheerier note, you may make your own virtual snowflake here.

1 comment:

Lone Star Ma said...

It snowed here in Corpus Christi on Christmas Eve 2004 (we think it was for our baby ourselves). It was the first time snow had really stuck here in a hundred years (there was a flurry when I was 2 but it melted before it hit the ground), and there was like 6 inches of it so it was a for-real thing...the most snow the city had ever seen in recorded history. It was an amazing miracle. We are still reeling from it (all but the LSG who likes to ruin our fun by linking it to ominous climate changes).