When I was a teenager, I made music mixes on cassette tapes. Now, I make music mixes on compact discs. I am resisting the temptations of iPods (easy to do when one lives on a slender budget).
Here is the sountrack to the film of the quasi-fictitious early life of Alkelda the Gleeful, called "Hard Luck Child." Obviously, this was before she became Gleeful, when she was merely Alkelda the Grouchy. Some of these songs are much cooler than A the G while others are unabashedly guilty pleasures.
By the way, today I am 33 1/3 years old. Bede is hosting a cocktail party in my honor. A "hard luck child" I am not.
Addendum: I am actually 33 1/4 today. Bede is threatening to cancel my party.
1) Orphan Girl—Emmylou Harris (originally by Gillian Welch)
2) Alive and Kicking—Simple Minds
3) As a Child—Suzanne Vega
4) I Know My Love—Chieftains and Corrs
5) I Asked for Water (He Gave Me Gasoline)—Lucinda Williams (originally by Howlin Wolf)
6) Help Me Mary—Liz Phair
7) Pa Janvier, Laisse-moi m'en Aller—Patty Griffin
8) Enola Gay—OMD
9) Everybody Knows—Concrete Blonde (originally by Leonard Cohen)
10) Nobody’s Fault But Mine—Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (originally by Led Zeppelin, but whom do you think wrote the song anyway?)
11) True Friends--Shannon Curfman
12) Woke Up This Morning—A3
13) These Boots Are Made For Walking--Nancy Sinatra
14) Gratitude--Oingo Boingo
15) Everything is Free--Gillian Welch
16) Drive--Joe 90
17) The Bug--Dire Straits