Thursday, June 23, 2005

Nancy Stewart, troubadour

Lucia is in her crib. She is supposed to be taking a nap. Instead, she is singing Sticky, Sticky Bubble Gum." This is all Nancy Stewart's fault. Yesterday, we went to Nancy Stewart's "Hooray for Washington!" program for our library's Summer Reading kick-off. Nancy played guitar and sang songs about tidepools, slugs, and various mollusks, as well as the aforementioned bubblegum song. The hit song of the day for Lucia, however, was the "Geoduck Song."

("What is a geoduck?" you ask.
Nancy Stewart replies, "It's a lot of clam chowder.")

On the way home, Lucia insisted upon songs about geoducks. Since I couldn't remember the words, I made up a few variants. Here is one such composition, sung to the tune of "The Lumberjack Song:"

I am a geoduck and I'm okay,
I dig all night and I sleep all day,
I'm a longish clam, I live in the sand,
I am a deli-cacy.


I have decided that I really will learn how to play guitar. Three chords is all I need for my purposes. Maybe Nancy will teach me.


This is not a geoduck. Trust me, you don't want to look at a real one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think yer blog is so awsome, lol, i love reading it!!!! its so much fun to read and i look at it almost every day to see if there is a new post... lol, its just an awsome blog!
any way, g2g, bu it is an awsome blog!
^ ^
)
O

Saints and Spinners said...

Thank you, Spencer. You are very kind!

Silly Bus said...

Thanks for this extremely helpful and well written post