Tuesday, March 22, 2005

One Eye, Two Eyes, Three Eyes

I have always had some sympathy for One Eye and Three Eyes in this fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm. They shouldn't have been cruel to Two Eyes, but it's just as hard to relate to someone who has an accepted, conventional beauty in an "oddball" family as it is to have a child with unusual features in what some might consider a typical family.

Lucia, my toddler daughter has a relatively rare eye-condition called PHPV We all hope that her left eye continues to grow at a similar rate as her right eye, but who knows what will happen? I will think she's beautiful no matter how the left eye grows, but sometimes the imagined scenarios haunt me.

My wish is that everyone might share the gold apples with leaves of silver from the magical tree of Two Eyes.

No comments: