Tuesday, June 02, 2015

The Fairies from Newfoundland

One of my most visited blog posts is the Gnome Home, published in May 2008. The people who visit often ask how they can find a gnome/fairy door of their own. I myself wanted a fairy or gnome dwelling in our pine tree in the back yard. I wrote,

We have a pine tree in our back yard that would be a perfect residence for gnomes. We've sent out the word. The housing market is difficult right now, and so far, there have been no inquiries about the property. However, I feel confident that we shall have gnomes take up residence in our pine tree before the summer is over.

 However, it would be seven more years before our pine tree would finally have a door to signify the dwelling of magical creatures within. After I read  Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, and winnowed the family possessions to a point where our little house was comfortable and welcoming, I turned to the outdoors. My garden beds were choked with buttercups and violets, and the back yard was ever the desperate Land of Weeds. I weeded, replanted, and had someone come in to prune the trees. My husband removed the decrepit shed in the back yard. And then, finally, the fairies from Newfoundland arrived:

You can find doors like this one, and other ones too, at Nothin' But Wood on Etsy.

4 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Ooooooooh! Tiny things like this are just so magical...

Clearly, I have GOT to read that tidying up book - it's really making a difference to a lot of people. I tend to either just throw everything away, or keep everything... there has to be a happy medium... or ...not...

Lone Star Ma said...

Lovely.

Allison Bruning said...

That's a cute set-up. I think it would be a great place for any gnome to make a home.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Reading this post, I imagined that it would be dated April 1st! And now I am going to leave a comment of a trollish nature - "Who is that trip trapping over my bridge?"...Best wishes, Neil in Sheffield, England (Still not dead!)