Monday, September 16, 2013

Stitches and Songs between the Seasons

This is the between-time of seasons. The summer farmer's markets end and the autumn rains begin. My daughter is in public school now, as our homeschool adventure was a short but enriching experience that was never meant to be more than a necessary stop-gap. I've had to let go of some friends who were dear to me, but I've also made new friends with whom I will travel as far as we are willing to go. There is heartbreak and beauty, painful growth and glorious song.

After many months of simply floating along, my Alkelda Dolls shop finally has offerings in the double-digits.In addition to listing some old favorites with new variations (Rainbow Queen, Lydia Purpuraria, Grey Knight), I have the red leaf, yellow leaf, and milkweed pod babies to share with you. One of my early childhood memories is of my mother breaking open a milkweed pod in late summer to show me the silky seeds inside. She often showed me things in the natural world that seemed wondrous. (And really, they were.)
Yellow Leaf, Milkweed Pod, Red Leaf Babies

I am attempting to bring some focus to the new wealth of music I've been exposed to this last month. I continue to work on improving my guitar skills as well as finding lovely melodies on the ukulele. I find that, when I play the uke, it is impossible for me to settle into a melancholy mood. The documentary The Mighty Uke is a delightful introduction to the history and resurgence of this instrument. While I wish I had indeed brought my ukulele to guitar camp, I am glad that my uncle got to be my first teacher.

Today, I am playing on the ukulele Fisherman's Blues by the Waterboys. Here are the chords to the song: G, F, A minor, C. Repeat!

4 comments:

Jules at 7-Imp said...

"Fisherman's Blues" is one of the world's best songs. God, I love that song.

Saints and Spinners said...

Jules: True, indeed. My challenge over this next while is to practice these songs with intention and fervor while not making my family tired of the songs. It's a challenge.

Lone Star Ma said...

Beautiful milkweed pod baby.

I hope school is going well.

Call me soon.

Saints and Spinners said...

LSM: The Girl came home today to say that another girl liked her drawings. "We're friends," she said.

I called you soon!