Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Take Children's Songs Literally

I laughed a number of times when I read Sarah Schmelling's McSweeney's piece Mom Takes Children's Songs Literally.  Who among us hasn't thought, "You’re paying far too much attention to that very, very small spider"?

Read the examples in the link, and then add your own in the comments. Here are some of my off-the-cuff responses:

Is "Eeyi-Eeyiyo" the name of the farm or the sound the old farmer MacDonald makes when s/he has to get up in the early morning to feed all of those chickens, ducks, sheep, etc?

Three words for Henry: Stop Making Excuses.  For those who think that Liza is overly demanding, consider that Henry started the whole scenario with his whining.

I know those examples are not as clever as the ones in Schmelling's piece. That's why I'm looking to you.

4 comments:

Jules at 7-Imp said...

I *never* wash my clothes (or sweep or scrub, or heaven forfend, IRON) that early in the morning, mulberry busy or no.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

(That's not particularly clever. But it's honest.

Also, that link made me laugh outloud, and I had to share it with a few friends, particularly one who just became a mama.)

Lone Star Ma said...

Those children on the bus had better put on their seat belts.

(Pathetic attempt, I know, but I've got nothing.)

Saints and Spinners said...

Thanks for your offerings! At first glance, it would appear that the entries wrote themselves, but after I tried, I realized it was not that simple. Hats off to Schmelling.