Saturday, December 03, 2011

St. Nicholas Party

I wrote a post for the Natural Kids Team about St. Nicholas Day, a festival that takes place on December 6: St. Nicholas Day Memories (with festive punch recipe)

What I didn't share in that post was my first attempt to have a St. Nicholas Day Eve party. In my first library system, we hired a featured storyteller for the event. In my naivete, I decided that it would be great if everyone shared a story. When I invited people, I asked them to prepare a 3-5 minute story or memory to share.

Instead, many people brought stories to read. Long stories. Plus, I had 25 guests. What had started out as a merry gathering turned into an excruciating example of the alternate definition of "captive audience." I should have had a little bell or timer. Better yet, I should have been the featured storyteller or asked someone else to fill the role. I may yet host another St. Nicholas Day party. You're invited, but remember: keep it short, keep it sweet, and know your audience. (I neglected to mention that one of the few oral stories was a hair-raising memory told by a friend of a friend in cheerful oblivion to the presence of children in the room.)

The Claus Family with trees by The Enchanted Cupboard
***
Next year, I may sew a St. Nicholas or Father Christmas, but this year I made Santa Claus, joined by Mrs. Claus and a Noel Gnome. If you follow the link, you'll see a photo of Santa Claus hanging out with his good friend, King Winter.

Happy December!

6 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

So cute!

Melangell said...

Ho boy. Yes. I remember inviting someone to tell Halloween stories at the Library - he was a boy scout leader and was "renowned" for his good ghost stories. WRONG. I don't think it is being a control freak to LIMIT.!!!! People can be nuts.

Saints and Spinners said...

LSM: Thanks!

Melangell: I had a harder time setting boundaries and limits before I had a child. Now, I feel I set boundaries and limits all the time. It gets exhausting, as you well know. Maybe that's why I've not tried to have the party again?!

tanita davis said...

Just be on a family vespers committee, and you will learn to shut people up with a vengeance. It's terrible, but I have learned to walk up to someone at a microphone with a smile, put my arm around them, and essentially drag them away.

I have suffered through one too many storytelling events like the one you mention! We really do have a timer at our church...

Lisa Song said...

Oh wow! That's the cutest, most friendly Santa I've ever seen. His beard reminds me of cotton candy :)

Saints and Spinners said...

Tanita: I am grateful when there are people in church specifically assigned to end "sharing time" when it needs to be ended. Every church I have attended where there is "sharing of joys and concerns," there is one person who Has To Share. Once that person gets the floor, s/he doesn't want to cede it. Once that person gets around to asking us to pray for her friend's neighbor's second-cousin's sprained toe, audience revolt is brewing....

Lisa: Thank you. The fluffier beard is a relatively new edition, as I gained confidence with the felting needle.