Friday, April 01, 2011

Humor?

April Fools' Day of my fourth grade year was uneventful... until bedtime. When I was getting ready for bed, I tried to put on my pajamas, only to find that my mother had sewn my pajama bottoms together.

Today, my daughter asked, "Will you sew my pajama bottoms together for April Fools' Day?"

I replied that I couldn't even get done the sewing I had to do (i.e. the cherry blossom doll a friend commissioned, the green dress that once would have taken mere days to complete).

I reminded her to be aware of the other kids today. A few days ago when the class had a substitute, one of the tricksters in her class changed her behavior card from green to red.

He told her it was an early April Fool's joke.

She said, "It wasn't funny."

He replied, "I wasn't laughing."

Neither was she.

When my daughter was younger, her laughter was full-bodied and contageous. Maybe the loss of unrestrained laughter an inevitable part of growing up, but I don't like it. I want to bring it back.

My daughter wants an April Fools' Day joke that isn't mean. Do you have any ideas?

6 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Does she have to change clothes/shoes when she comes home from school? You can always put pretty rocks in her shoes and tie her laces together.

...there's always food dye, and mashed potatoes...

Let me think a minute more...

tanita✿davis said...

Do you have time to rearrange her room??? Short-sheet her bed???

tanita✿davis said...

D. suggests picking her up from school and speaking to her in another language - and looking confused when she doesn't understand. Of course, he a.) is a polyglot, and b.) could pull that off with a straight face.

Might be a little much for Lucia.

Next year it might be fun to safety-pin her pockets closed and tie dye all of her white underwear.

(Obviously I worked at summer camp WAY TOO LONG.)

Saints and Spinners said...

Tanita: Short-sheeting would be funny to her. I think I may end up sewing her pjs closed because I already told her I wouldn't. Picking her up from school and speaking in another language would really upset her, though.

Saints and Spinners said...

Egads. I can't even sew her pj bottoms properly. I'm off to short-sheet her bed.

Lone Star Ma said...

Mimosa, too tired this week, usually switches out the contents of our drawers and toiletries, puts plastic wrap on the toilet, things of that nature.

I could loan you a silly six-year-old who will giggle unrestrainedly for hours (HOURS) if you like.