Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Cat Food Sandwiches" and "The Cat Came Back"

In all likelihood, you will not thank me for posting the song "Cat Food Sandwiches" by David Lindley. Some of you will snicker, but others of you will say, "How could you?" The music is quite good and Lindley's storytelling is compelling but the lyrics will make you writhe in your chair, and Lindley knows it. My uncle introduced me to this song, and told me after a few minutes, "It's okay if you've had enough."

I couldn't turn myself away from it, and after listening to all 18 minutes or so of the song, despite having images in my head that are stuck for all time, I had to pass it on to you. Just be warned: you will never think of poker-chips, gelatin or head-cheese in the same way again. (Actually, you'll probably think of head-cheese exactly as you did before.)

For those of you who don't even want to chance the possibility of being disgusted, avert your eyes, skip past parts 1-3 of "Cat Food Sandwiches" and rejoin me at the paragraph that begins with "This week...."

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

This week, I had a great time hanging out with my uncle. We strummed guitar together, which was a treat, and also got to listen to him to play his bluesy finger-picking songs. Lucia's favorite song was my uncle's rendition of Harry S. Miller's The Cat Came Back. You may listen to children's musician Fred Penner perform it here. Penner also covers the song Sandwiches, so now we've come full circle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to listen to "Cat Food Sandwiches" when I'm home.

I love "The Cat Came Back." Now I have to watch the cartoon again.