Friday, June 05, 2009

My 48 Hour Book Challenge begins

Our cat Mercedes went missing for two days. She is a dim-witted furry beast who freaks out in open spaces (among other places) and when Bede opened the doors in an attempt to cool off the house, Mercedes got out. She's usually so skittish that she'll peep her nose out and then pull it back in again, but this time curiosity must have triumphed over fear... momentarily. We noticed the next morning that she was gone, but we should have noticed sooner, as she usually wakes us up with her mewing EVERY NIGHT.

Coyotes venture into our neighborhood quite a bit, looking for small, tasty morsels. We thought certainly that Mercedes was gone for good. It's hard when a cat goes missing, because there's no closure, but despite holding out some hope, I began to think of her in the past tense just to get some distance from what I thought was the inevitable.

Last night, we woke up a number of times when we heard mewing a number of times, but found no cat outside. Then, around 4 a.m., Bede saw her on the back porch. He went out to get her, and she ran away. We got out flashlights, and eventually found her under the neighbor's porch. Bede stayed very still and finally she came out from the porch around 4:45 a.m.

I dropped Lucia off at school this morning, drove home, and went to bed. Now' it's 1 p.m. and I'm ready to start MotherReader's 48 Hour Book Challenge. I'm starting out with George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin, which I first read as a child. Over the next 48 hours, I will have a storytelling gig, preparation for our bedroom painting, care of Lucia, guitar practice and maybe even some breaks for sewing. Still, I will read. I will keep a running tally of books read, pages read, time spent reading, and time spent blogging. I will do a final blog post Sunday, June 7, after 1 pm PST.

Here I go!

June 6 update at 6 pm:

Total time read: 11.5 hours
Number of books read: 6

11:24 pm update:
Total time read: 12 hours 45 minutes
Number of books read: 7
Time spent writing down notes: 30 minutes
Time spent reading other blogs and commenting: 90 minutes

As tempting as it is to spend a couple more hours reading, I'm going to bed. After having my sleep wrecked by a cat, I am not going to stretch out my circadian rhythms even more when I'm probably not going to be in the running for the 20 Hour Club. If I'm focused, I'll get 3-4 more hours of reading in tomorrow before I stop at 1 pm.

12 comments:

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Glad you found your cat - I thought ours was gone earlier this week and then he showed up - I was thrilled.

Good luck with the challenge. I will be starting mine in just a little while and cannot wait!

Timothy Carter said...

I too am delighted Mercedes came home. I'd be very sad if Karma ever went away. Go kick some @$$ on that challenge!

Charlotte said...

I'm so glad your cat is safe! We lost our little black Furry last year. Sigh. He was a sweet cat, and an excellent mouser. The current cat is also sweet, but so pathetic mouse wise. I once caught a mouse myself and gave it to her to practice on, but she let it get away almost immediatly.

susan259 said...

Oh, The Princess and the Goblin! Lovely choice. How are you doing with the challenge so far? I am spending some time looking at other people's blogs, but back to reading soon.

Saints and Spinners said...

Thanks for all of your good wishes! I'm sorry about Furry, Charlotte. Regarding the challenge, so far I've logged 6 hours of reading time and am on my 3rd book. I think I'll make some headway today, but I'm no Charlotte's Library. ;)

Vivian Mahoney said...

Good luck with the Challenge! Glad Mercedes is back home, safe and sound. Wouldn't you love to know what kind of adventure she had that made her a wee bit reluctant to come back in?

Ms. Yingling said...

Whew. Hope the cat is now helping you with your challenge. My dog thinks this weekend is all about her, because as I read she is right there to have her tummy rubbed. Good luck with the challenge!

Cackleberry Homestead said...

You are doing great! Keep it up. I know I am having a blast and I only have two books read.

My hubby has been sympathetic too, I'm just bad about letting things distract me, but he has really tried.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Glad Mercedes is back home safe! My cat is the same way. Hope your challenge is going well and you are not too tired!

Stephanie said...

I'm glad your kitty is home safe and sound. Good luck with the challenge -- happy reading!

Carol H Rasco said...

Memories of lost pets during my children's young years flooded back as I read your note...a young adult colleague recently remarked she had to stop and remember when her own pet recently went "missing" it wasn't the first time in history a pet was missing, but she sure felt it was and found herself thinking "Where is my mother?"! I am finished with my 48 hours but am cruising the sites more now and finding it quite educational, will look forward to your final post. Your site is fascinating!

Camille said...

I'm glad your cat is found. Still reading my ONE book.