Thursday, May 14, 2009

Crafty Thursday: Mamakopp, Mamaroots, Pidoodle and me, Alkelda

I've decided that Thursday will be the designated "Etsy Day" on my blog. This is the day of the week in which I'll highlight items from sellers I've found, report any neat updates, etc. That way, I'll know how to pace things and not worry that I'm talking too much about my new cottage industry and associates. It's been a great two weeks, with repeat customers and commissions for new dolls. One person is using a commissioned Sand Elemental for sand tray or sand table therapy, and another person is using the Fuchsia, Ladybug Girl, Ladybug Gnomes and Moonshadow Sunflower dolls in her Waldorf kindergarten storytelling. I enjoyed making this Marigold doll commissioned for a child's birthday present. One person commissioned a number of dolls to display on her desk throughout the seasons-- in essence, she is creating a nature table on her desk! All the while, I am slowly building up a family of Elementals of my own for storytelling. I should be done with that set by next Thursday, and will post a photo then.

In addition to sales, I've done some trades with the kind, generous woodworker Mamakopp. Yesterday, I received in the mail a package containing a grey goose and gosling set, and a Lion and the Little Red Bird set inspired by the book by Elisa Kleven. It's been cold and rainy here, and this package was a bit of warmth:


Photo by me

Mamakopp has a blog that you can visit here.

Here's an item on my ever-lengthening wishlist: a Princess in the Forest storyset by Mamaroots, inspired by the book by Sibylle von Olfers, who also wrote The Story of the Root Children:

Photo by Mamaroots
Mamaroots has a blog that you can visit here.


Last but not least, my college friend ABCGirl of the blog happy stuff has finally brought Pidoodle to Etsy with her collection of jewelry and items like bags, pillowcases and burp-cloths made with "upcycled" textiles. I'm pleased to have this colorful bag for carrying around my embroidery kit on the go plus a book or two:


Photo by Pidoodle (this is fun to say fast)

And now, I'm back to sewing before it's time to pick up my daughter from school. Iy was a good to take a break, though. Two days ago, I sewed my finger. Fortunately, there was enough callous that it was no big deal, but it was a surreal moment. My poor guitar has been neglected this week. I need to learn some French songs for an upcoming assignment. On I go....

8 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

You are so talented in so many ways! I admire the life you have made.

tanita✿davis said...

If you guitar has steel strings, I would guess you have some mighty callouses. Glad you didn't hurt yourself!

mamakopp said...

Farida thank you for your kindness once again. We love having your dolls in our home. They are so beautifully made. I can understand why you had such a great first two weeks!!!! I too just had a big custom order for sand therpy! How neat!

It rains a lot there doesn't it? I am coming your way in a couple of weeks! We will have to meet up!

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

So inspiring! It must be wonderful to know your dolls are being used and loved in so many different settings. Maybe one day I'll open up an etsy shop of my own!

abcgirl said...

I'm glad that the bag arrived safely and that you like it! Congrats on a booming beginning to your shop!

:)

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Well, now "upcycled" is new to me. You learn something new every day. And I LOVE that bag!

Thanks for showcasing these folks...

Saints and Spinners said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed this. Regarding the sewing of my finger, Tanita, didn't you and Jackie both say that this was a concern of yours when using the sewing machine? I've never sewed my finger on the sewing machine, but I've had some adventures with the hand-sewing. I do have a steel string guitar, so the callouses have built up. I keep erasing the details of the finger-sewing because I don't want to make anyone woozy (no blood, though!).

Myth said...

I recently read a great tip in a vintage book on toymaking - keep a small uninflated balloon in your sewing kit - it's great for gripping the needle when you need to pull it through a 'tough spot'. (I don't know if your dollies have those - but the more you are handsewing, the more likely you will discover how GREAT this tip is!) In a macabre way, I sometimes look at my hands and think of those forensic shows - if my unidentified body were found they would say "She was a writer and she sewed by hand - look at the callouses, the scars and pricked skin on her index fingers. She was married - see the line from her wedding ring? and a mother with young children - her nails are clipped short and she has had no time to moisturise. She has recently been digging in soil."