Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Lantern Walk Songs for Martinmas

I recently started a satellite blog called A Storytelling of Crows. As of now, I plan for it to be primarily a site for me to share audio and video outside the scope of Saints and Spinners. Yesterday, I recorded Lucia's teacher singing "I Go Outside With My Candle," and "Glimmer, Lantern, Glimmer," and so that the parents of my daughter's classmates could learn the tunes in time for Martinmas, a festival that appropriately coincides with Veteran's Day on Tuesday, November 11. Since the third song, "My Lantern! My Lantern!" ended up not being a clean copy (there was screaming in the background, which I hadn't noticed at the time), Lucia sang the song for me on video this morning.

Here is the post I wrote for Martinmas last year: St. Martin and the Lantern Walk

Here is a link to all three songs: Lantern Walk songs

9 comments:

Charlotte said...

"there was screaming in the background" tee hee. There so often is....

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

Not only was there screaming, but you didn't even notice it at the time. Ha!

I love the story of Saint Martin and his cloak, although the kids wonder, why didn't he give the beggar the whole thing? It makes a nice conversation.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

EXCELLENT! I'm going to recommend this to storyteller friends and to the storytelling prof at UT, my alma mater.

Saints and Spinners said...

Charlotte: No kidding, eh?

Anamaria: I wonder if the story is about sharing what you've got rather than giving away everything you have.

Jules: Great! Thanks. I hope it's of help.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Ooohh! Alkelda! I love the header of your new blog. Did you design it?

Saints and Spinners said...

Vivian: I did! I'm glad you like it. I was a little surprised at how well it turned out.

Lone Star Ma said...

It is beautiful.

Greer said...

What a lovely blog! Here's a question: Why do we have a lantern walk on Martinmas? What's the connection between lanterns and Saint Martin? Is there one, or is it simply holdover from pre-Christian rituals? It's a question that came up for me at our lantern walk recently!

Saints and Spinners said...

Greer: Thank you! I wonder if the reason we have lanterns at Martinmas is because of the connection to the season of Fall as opposed to having to do with the saint himself. I'd be interested in studying the origins of festivals more.