Sunday, February 24, 2008

Snowdrops

After yesterday's library blues-shuffle, I decided to post something more pleasant for today-- a drift of snowdrops down the street in my neighbor's yard:



I don't know if the snowdrops I planted last fall will come up this spring, as they take awhile to establish themselves, but I hope for such abundance in the years to come. Lucia's "Little One" is named Snowdrop, and so she especially likes to see the flowers now. In the meantime, I plunked down two clumps of snowdrops from the plant nursery, just to have them:



The crocuses Bede and I planted are popping up everywhere, and that makes us glad. Of course, the weeds are popping up, too, but I've been more kindly disposed toward them ever since my mom pointed out that weeds bring the soil nutrients up toward the surface. Besides, digging them out loosens up the soil. I do wish that our bluebells were of the lovely variety such as Blogapotamus enjoys in her bluebell woods, and not an invasive weedy hybrid.

6 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Spring has sprung late
In Washington State...
(The first two lines of a poem but I am too lazy to write the rest of it - why don't you do it?)

Lone Star Ma said...

Lovely gardens.

Saints and Spinners said...

YP:... Um, "O to be in England, now that April's there?" Nope, already taken!

LSM: I wish you could see what's already going on around here. It's a lovely part of the country.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a lovely spring post! Thank you for cheering me up on the dreary afternoon of cold rain.

Anonymous said...

April in England can be quite a mixed, slushy, muddy bag. You can have days of glorious sunshine and mild temperatures wherein you can enjoy the spectacular spring blooms, or equally, you can spend the whole month indoors while watching your garden float away. At the moment, we've had exceptional weather this winter; lots of sunshine. The cherry trees are already in full bloom.

The bluebells here are something else. I'm looking forward to this spring when I can get pictures of the Prawn toddling around in them. :) What we call bluebells in the States are quite prolific over here too and are known as "grape hyacinths".

Saints and Spinners said...

Blogapotamus: Are these the grape hyacinths of which you speak:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_hyacinth

?
If so, I just love 'em. Last year, I bought them mixed in with wee jonquils at the Tulip festival, and hope they bloom again this year.