Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Quarter-Sized* Guitar



Yes, the quarter-sized* pink guitar was a partially an impulse purchase,** and no, I didn't wait for a special occasion to give it to Lucia. The guitar is made by a company called Luna Guitars, which specializes in electric, acoustic and bass guitars for women and girls.

Sunday night, the House of Glee went over to some friends' house for dinner, and I brought my guitar along. I played a few songs and then let my friend's seven year old step-daughter (who is hoping to get a guitar of her own for Christmas) strum and sing a few of her original songs with the guitar. The girl's mother arrived to pick her up during this impromptu jam session, and afterward, she thanked me and said, "You have no idea how much this means to me. So far, all of the people in her life who play guitar are men."

Male readers, remember: while there are more female guitarists now than there used to be, the instrument is still predominantly played by men, and the guitars are built that way.

Female readers, remember: When you're looking for a guitar, the one you end up with should be comfortable to play. If you feel as if your back is strained while playing, you may need a guitar with a shallower body. Also, the sticker-price of the guitar should almost never be the actual buying price. Ask the dealer, "What's a good price can you give me for this guitar?" My Composite Acoustic guitar was a brand-new make when I bought it, but the dealer was able to knock off enough so that I wasn't settling for the sticker price.

*Is it really quarter-sized, or just smaller than the 1/2 size? I thought I knew, but now I realize I just assumed that was the next size down. Argh. 11/30/07
**While I was looking out for a 1/4 sized guitar for Lucia, I hadn't planned on it being pink or having steel strings.

6 comments:

limpy99 said...

Boy or girl, there's never a bad reason to give a kid a guitar.

tanita✿davis said...

Ohhh, I so wish I could play!!!

Saints and Spinners said...

Limpy99: True words!

Tadmack: Really? I hope you can get ahold of a guitar so you can practice your 2-3 chords in order to play an infinite number of songs. Hey, take one of mine. I mean it. Come to Seattle!

Vivian Mahoney said...

What a pretty guitar! My nine year old wants a guitar, and I have no idea where to start. Thanks for some good tips.

LindaBudz said...

Oooh, hurrah for pink! There's nothing better than being able to play guitar, except for maybe looking good while you're doing it!

Anonymous said...

Look at your daughter! How cool is she? That pink guitar is AWESOME. It's just the thing for the playhouse. (Oh, no. I haven't forgotten the playhouse. Someday I am getting myself a pink guitar *and* a playhouse, just wait. ;)!)