Wednesday, June 27, 2007

July 2007 Carnival of Children's Literature



"...the play's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king."
--Hamlet, Act II, scene 2.

I'm generally not a fan of specific themes. Whenever I've used specific themes for my library storytimes, I inevitably padded out the selection of available books with stories I didn't particularly love. Besides, variety=spice of life. I wouldn't mind listening to a 1/2 hour of train-themed songs performed by someone live, but when I have to read or listen to a 1/2 hour of train-themed stories, my mind wanders. Your mind probably wanders, too, unless you're a rabid fan of a particular cheery-faced locomotive engine.

With that in mind, I humbly submit to you the theme for the sixteenth Carnival of Children's Literature, which I shall host: "The Play's the Thing." Interpret it as you will. Just don't play hard-to-get! The deadline for article submissions is Friday, July 20, 5 PM Pacific Standard Time. Come around to Saints and Spinners on Monday, July 23rd, and read at your leisure the goodies your neighbors in the blogosphere have to offer.

To submit articles for the July 2007 Carnival of Children's Literature, email me directly:alkelda [dot] the [dot] gleeful [at] gmail [dot] com, or place a link in the comments boxes. Please put "Carnival of Children's Literature" in the email subject field or above your link in the comments box. I'd originally had a link to the Carnival site, but I'm not sure the emails are forwarding correctly.



July 2007 Carnival submissions are now closed.

14 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

Love the coffee!

Saints and Spinners said...

HWM: I figured that since the Carnival is being held in Seattle, the picture was appropriate. I'm sure glad Seattle is better known for its coffee and its high readership levels than it is for its slugs, terrible traffic, and short-sighted solutions to long-term problems. Yee hah.

xxxxxx said...

On my part it's known for its terrific climate for gardening.

Saints and Spinners said...

Diana: It is that! Please say a little prayer for my squash, though. I had to move them, and they're furious with me: drooping leaves, forlorn vines, etc.

xxxxxx said...

I certainly will! I hope they will recover!

Saints and Spinners said...

Diana-- Prayers worked. The Squash are reviving. The rhubarb are acting a bit more hostile though. I had to move them because they weren't flourishing where they were AND they were getting bitten by slugs.

Little Willow said...

Hmm. Howzabout one of my favorite passages from A Midsummer Night's Dream, which I posted for Poetry Friday?

http://slayground.livejournal.com/255510.html

Bkbuds said...

Hi, here's my submission for the carnival:

http://dadtalk.typepad.com/book_buds_kidlit_reviews/2007/06/it_needs_to_be_.html

Thanks for putting this together!
Cheers,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Why not submit our Hank interview, 'cause he's just so smart and funny and . . . well, dressed like a tomato?

http://blaine.org/sevenimpossiblethings/?p=780

Camille said...

Here is my offering. I love this book.
http://www.bookmoot.com/2007/07/39-apartments-of-ludwig-van-beethoven.html

Camille said...

I want to change my submission! This one instead:
http://www.bookmoot.com/2007/07/good-bye-lady-bird-johnson.html
Thanks!

Saints and Spinners said...

Camille-- You stinker!:) Just kidding. I've changed your submission.

Megan Germano said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tasha said...

Here's my carnival submission:

http://www.greenlakelibrary.org/kidslit/archives/014190.html

Thanks!