Friday, July 07, 2006

I wouldn't steer you wrong

Booktalk Friday never really took off for me. What's the big deal, you might ask, if it's only one book a week? After all, some people write at least one book review a day. These days, if I read and review one book a month, that's an achievement. I don't get paid for it, but I get a free copy of the book in hardcover, which I usually pass along to one of my school librarian friends.

With that in mind, here is a list of recommended books I've read recently of which the only book-talk is "READ IT. Trust me. READ IT."

Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman

Twilight
, by Stephenie Meyer

Mr. Putter and Tabby Take the Train, by Cynthia Rylant

Madlenka, by Peter Sis

Snip, Snap: What's That? by Mara Bergman

8 comments:

Liz said...

Several times I've picked up Neil Gaiman's books only to put them back down in favor of a Star Wars novel or some such nonsense. I'm seriously gonna try and read this one.

Lady K said...

After reading an excerpt from Neil Gaiman's book, I'm definitely going to check it out, although I usually go for the horror/suspense or mysteries.

Saints and Spinners said...

You know, all you can do is pick up the book, see if you like it, and then put it down if it doesn't grab you. As far as pleasure-reading goes, the right book at the right time is key. FYI, I did try to read The Stand, I did! Even though I don't kvell to Stephen King's writing style, I can at least acknowledge the fact that he's a good storyteller.

BlueMamma said...

how many of these books are for kids?

Lone Star Ma said...

Is Neverwhere scary like Coraline? Coraline scared me more than any Stephen King book ever did...

Saints and Spinners said...

BlueMama: Neverwhere is for grown-ups (and young adults), and Twilight is a young adult novel. Everything else is for kids.

Lone Star Ma: Neverwhere is scary, indeed. It's not your book. Normally, it wouldn't be my book either, but I liked it anyway.

fusenumber8 said...

Ever since you recommended "Snip Snap" I've been using it with great success with the l'il ones. I can't believe how effective that book is. Sheer genius, that. Sheer.

Saints and Spinners said...

Fusenumber8: I'm glad the book works for you! It's a favorite around here.