Saturday, February 18, 2006

Remember...

I appreciate this prayer of intercession, called the Memorare:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to Thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of Virgins, my Mother. To thee I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in Thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.

It's the first sentence that gets me, the reminder that the reputation of the Theotokos is so reknowned that the person praying has full confidence Mary will deliver once again. I know that there are people suffering all over the world, I know that there are many unfair things happening, and yes, I wish I could do something to help everyone. I know that, no matter what is out there (or within us), the Divine is not Santa Claus who grants wishes to those who are good and delivers coal to those who are bad.

Even so, I am thinking of one particular person (the relative of a good friend) who has suddenly undergone an infection that could be fatal. I am angry, frustrated, and I don't care that life is unfair. As a character in a Madeleine L'Engle novel said, "It's not fair that it's not fair!" Whatever you believe, please add your petitions of hope and good wishes for this person you do not know.

These lyrics from the song Anything, by Sixpence None the Richer, are going through my head:

So hey baby, can you shed some light on the problem maybe?
'Cause we're all crying and we'd like to know
If we should pack our tents, shut down the show.
Yes, we should like to see a burning bush-type sign.
But anything would be fine.

No comments: