Thursday, January 26, 2006

Four Things Meme

Galetea tagged me for this "Four Things Meme," and I'm going to be cooperative because it's turned out to be a reflective exercise.


Four Jobs I’ve Had
1) File Clerk: I stapled, photocopied and pasted labels onto patents for 8 hours a day. You can imagine how grouchy I got when the boss of the department decided that we couldn’t listen to our Walkmans while we worked.
2) Walking Companion: Three days a week, I pushed an elderly gentleman around in a wheelchair so that he could get some fresh air and a break from hospice care.
3) Library Page (i.e. “shelver”): I love shelving books. I find good things to read.
4) Assistant Teacher: After college, I was a full-time volunteer at a daycare center for children of homeless parents. The hardest job I’ve ever had.

Four Movies I Can Watch Over and Over
1) A Room with a View
2) Donnie Darko
3) Empire Strikes Back
4) Clueless (my favorite Jane Austen adaptation!)


Four Places I’ve Lived
1) Cucumber Creek, West Virginia (USA)
2) Takoma Park, Maryland (USA)
3) Goshen, Indiana (USA)
4) New York City, New York (USA)

Four Places I’ve Vacationed
1) Victoria, British Columbia (Canada)
2) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
3) Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire (West Africa—though really, I was living there for three months doing my Study Service Term for college)
4) Florence and Rome (Italy)

Four of My Favorite Dishes
1) Lamb and spinach curry
2) Lentils, rice, & caramelized onions (“Megeddarah”)
3) Ethiopian vegetarian combo with a spicy lamb addition
4) Sushi

Four (Non-blogger) Sites I Visit Daily
1) Unshelved
2)New York Times
3) IMDB (we’re being honest, right?)
4) Seattle Public Library

Four Places I’d Rather Be Right Now Like to Visit
1) England
2) New Zealand
3) Lebanon
4) Japan

Four People I am Tagging to do this Meme
1) Nonny
2) Hitman J
3) Lone Star Ma
4) Goddess of Clarity

11 comments:

John said...

Word Verifier: The Gathering

Now.

Only in the Hideout.

No Tag-backs

Lone Star Ma said...

What is a meme exactly? I know that people mean things like this when they say it but what does it really mean?

Saints and Spinners said...

LSM: Technically, a meme is a catchy bit of information that's passed along from one person to another. According to the link I just posted, it's modeled on the Greek "mimema" which means something imitated. I think of a meme as more of a cultural virus (way more fun than a medical virus). I think of All Your Base are Belong to Us as the quintessential meme.

Lone Star Ma said...

Ah. Thank you. Have you read those war of the memes books by....can't remember. I read them because they have terraforming in them and the LSG wants to be a terraformer. They are really like a virus in the books, but sentient. They possess people.I will do this meme, but no possessing ones, please(:

Hazed said...

Oh I'm so jealous of where you've been! Your jobs seem kinda cool, too. I think every woman should do a file clerk/catch-all-secretary job at least once in her life. Once you've done that, you realize that scrubbing toilets isn't such a lousy job, after all. Hehe.

Love the goril-latte a couple of posts down, by the way!

Liz said...

I forgot to leave a comment yesterday, shame on me! Your tastes are very exotic.

Saints and Spinners said...

Nonny: No worries there! I was quite busy myself, yesterday, what with it being my Aunt Brigid's last day in town and doing the storytime in-service presentation for Lucia's school. My "exotic" tastes probably have a lot to do with my parents' influence. My mother cooked a lot of curry, and my father loved to eat cuisine from different cultures.

Friday: It's funny, because when I first started to answer the "where've you been" question, I thought, "Well, it's not like I've really been anywhere in comparison to my jet-setting relatives and overseas work-experience friends." But it's cool: over the course of 33 (almost 34!) years, I've been lucky with the travel. I'm not much of a traveler by nature, but I'd like to think that if I had really wanted to travel overseas extensively as much as I had claimed, I would have found a way to do it. There are so many places I want to visit in my own country, though!

Saints and Spinners said...

Lady Hearteater: I think I've only had octopus once where I thought, "Hey, this is pretty good!" My favorite sushi is eel. It's so tender and sweet (especially with that yummy sauce they use). Salmon and tuna are also favorites, of course,plus this sushi I've had at one restaurant where they soak roe eggs in wasabi, so that they're bright green. You eat it in one go, and for about 10 seconds, you're on fire with wasabi. Then, the fire goes away abruptly.

Lone Star Ma said...

I don't know what IMBD is...sounds fun, though...enlighten me? I'm really not all that computer literate.

Saints and Spinners said...

IMDB= Internet Movie Database. Click on the link in the post! It's most addictive. I used to drive myself completely crazy trying to remember why a particular face in a particular movie was so familiar. Thanks to IMDB, I only drive myself partially crazy. What's cool is not only do you find out what films/television shows a particular person has worked on, you can also find out what's in pre and post-production. Sometimes you can get some good information from the chat boards (the Donnie Darko chat board is quite prolific), but most of the time it's just trash-talking.
:(

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I've been tagged! I've always been fond of lists; being a kind of linear thinker, the act of numbering things has always been immensely satisfying to me.

PS -- eating lamb and spinach curry in Victoria, British Columbia while watching Empire Strikes Back may very well officially be the Best Way To Spend An Afternoon Ever.