Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Rhubarb-Ginger Crisp Bribery

Dear Lucia,
You are my daughter, and I love you beyond measure. However, at some point in the future, you may invoke my Inner Grouch when you attempt to cajole me into letting you go to that rickety-rackety rock concert. If I seem unmoved by your repeated pleas to camp outside the ticket office in order to get front row seats, try making rhubarb-ginger crisp for me. I probably won't cave, but you can bet I'll listen to what you have to say.


The recipe

In one bowl, combine:

2 pounds fresh, sliced rhubarb (on average, 4 cups)
3-4 cups sliced strawberries (or raspberries, or blueberries-- I'm not fussy)
1/3-1/2 cup unrefined sugar
2,3, or 4 teaspoons freshly grated ginger (more ginger, more merriment)

In another bowl, combine:

1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour (I like spelt or whole wheat)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter (or 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
dashes of the following: cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped candied ginger

*Pour and spread fruit mixture into a 9 inch square pan (slightly larger or smaller is okay)
*Distribute the oat/flour/spice mixture on top of the fruit, and pat evenly into place.
*Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
*Remove the pan from the oven, let the rhubarb-ginger crisp cool slightly, then serve a piece to your mother.

Now, in answer to your question: "I'll think about it."

4 comments:

  1. Dear Lucia,

    If your mom's grumbling about letting you go to some rock concert, just ask me. I'll talk her into it.

    -- Uncle Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you're going to teach her to drive, Boston style, too?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stealing the recipe, Alkelda!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Kind words and constructive criticism are most welcome. I zap spam and delete comments of a trollish nature. If you believe I deleted a comment in error, please send me an email. Posts older than 14 days will have comments held until they are approved.