Thursday, May 26, 2005

A Map of the World


New Ways to See the World 

"Perhaps we share stories in much the same spirit that explorers share maps, hoping to speed each other's journey, but knowing the journey we make will be our own." --Gloria Steinem

4 comments:

  1. Did you learn about it through the "West Wing?" I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly enough, the Islamic way of showing the map of the world is "upside down" like in your picture. Don't know why. I think it's also centered on Mecca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darth Phil,
    Now you've given me something to research. It never ends! Here is a link to more reading of "upside-down" maps:

    http://www.flourish.org/upsidedownmap/

    According to this (and other sources I've skimmed), the Islamic map has South as "up" because when a person woke up facing the sun, South was on the right. The perception that right=good made for a favorable map in which South was up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I like this a non-fiction picture-book about Ibn Battuta, a Muslim traveler of the 14th century. It's called
    Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta, 1325-1354, and it's written and illustrated by James
    Rumford. While it's not a map book per se, I would use it to garner more interest in maps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! Kind words and constructive criticism are most welcome. I zap spam and delete comments of a trollish nature. If you believe I deleted a comment in error, please send me an email. Posts older than 14 days will have comments held until they are approved.